In 1985, the United Nations designated the first Monday of October every year as World Habitat Day to reflect on the issues regarding our cities. Also on World Habitat Day we shall be reminded for the basic human right of all for adequate shelter.
Humankind historically struggle to sustain waste wise cities all across the globe. Although by 2018, this theme attracts increasing attention not just in the developed countries. Our civilization produces record high level of waste every day and it has to be addressed.
If you would like to know more about waste management of urbanization, download the Concept Note of the World Habitat Day in 2018 here. (1) From this note you can get to know more statistics like this: It is incredible that today’s modern life we produce to waste. Expected yearly waste generation is 5,9 billion tons by 2025.
Call to action:
- Read more → sustainabledevelopment.un.org
- Initiate conversations about the importance of proper waste management and how can we make our cities more sustainable.
- Find a project and reach out to the host entity to support them with advice or funds to deliver it, especially west African entities. The reason is the urgent need to deliver SDG-related changes there.
- Sponsor and motivate someone in your world to take a global volunteer project with AIESEC → aiesec.org/global-volunteer. I suggest one in the Benin Republic→ aiesec.org/opportunity/870351
Admittedly, AIESEC initiatives have barely any resources to make things happen—it is a real struggle—I was the Marketing Director in Benin for the 2015-16 term. For more information about my predicament there, please contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Article was written by Krisztina Kapuvári (findyourownlight) and originally posted on 1st October 2018 on Alumnet of AIESEC Alumni International – the platform available only for registered AIESEC alumnus.
Reposted on “whatareyoustillwaitingfor” blog, available for public.
THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED BY THE AUTHOR AND THOSE PROVIDING COMMENTS ARE THEIRS ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF AAI.
Original Article Rights:
- Drafted by Kriszti@whatareyoustillwaitingfor.space
- Illustrated by Kriszti@whatareyoustillwaitingfor.space
- Edited by Lee@whatareyoustillwaitingfor.space
- Published by Lee@whatareyoustillwaitingfor.space
To support the enthusiastic group of few in the war against ignorance, follow this: https://www.amazon.com/What-Still-Waiting-World-Dying-ebook/dp/B079SWGJH7