Sometimes the right thing to do is to put a little pressure into the equation.
Often it seems like, the best motivation for me is pressure. Lately, I try to use these more or less consciously.
- Good pressure can be deadlines. Everyone knows and using them quite consciously. The closer it gets, the more you deliver. 90% of the job is done the day before, at least for me.
- That is why I post near midnight (GMT0) usually to deliver my promise on #AprilsChallenge: publish every day a post.
- I also prefer when I am in a team. I just feel accountable to them and it is enough to push me do my part. Especially, when they are good to me or seem in really a need.
- For example that is how I joined most of the many volunteer activities of my life. Fighting for a good case and capitalizing on my skill-set to help organisations which are struggling, is my life’s purpose.
- Publicly or loudly promising something can help to drive execution too.
- starting a business is one project I feel not keeping to myself as idea or thoughts anymore, but make it a reality. Sharing with others really helps: finding supporters or getting even more hyped and pumped about it.. Talk it out also brings more clarity.
- Being on a streak, that works the best with me: the little OCD side of me just can’t let it get ruined. Keep continuing what it really can be used for.
- Bible reading app on my phone is holding me on streak for 14 weeks now. And it is so painful if I land back at 0. I just can’t let it happen again.
- Financially being invested an other one really getting me. Even if it is a few quids, I just have to have it pay for itself.
- Started a few hundred bucks worth online freelance course with British Collage of Journalism. Remember thinking if I pay, I will not ignore it and will more likely to keep doing it. 80% done so far.
These mental tricks, can be handy when laziness hits you low. They obviously not going to fix all the problems..
Aiming for well balanced life you should also aim for a well balanced motivation. For which keeping it till the end, pressure will not be enough. But if you are ever in the need of boost of energy, use pressure consciously.
What works for you? How do you find the drive to deliver something which you know needed but not that exciting to do?